We finally did it. We got the rest of the floors out. Well... okay.. not all of it. There are a few places by the wheel wells that we need to figure out how to get to.
Taking out the floors was a lot of work. I wouldn't wish that nightmare on anyone. It was hot, gross and back breaking work.
We each ended up with several injuries over the weekend. My guess is they were most inflicted during bouts of heat exhaustion.
The whole time we were tearing the floor out I was trying to not question our decision to take it down to the frame. I mean there was a lot of rotted wood... but part of me wishes we could have just covered it up like the last owners. (not really)
It was clear that Spartan built with excellent quality back in the day. The walls and frame were added after the floors, so those original floors were incredibly sturdy stuff.
Luckily we took notes on how the floors were put in and hope to copy their flooring technique when we rebuild it next week. We are still trying to get our hands on donated 1x4 douglas fir wood planks.
We received a generous donation of wood from Procon Construction for our floors, and are keeping our eyes out for the right kind of beams so we can put them in, and walk around safely again.
I've had a few people ask me to set up a donation call list which you can see here! (thank you!)
We are trying to keep this project as environmentally and wallet friendly as possible, and love the idea of using reclaimed or donated wood.
If we can't get the wood by next week we are hoping to start doing patch work on the outside of the trailer. There are some holes, dents and even bb bullet holes in some of the walls.
We will also likely be pressure washing the inside and outside shell. We are in for a fun weekend!